Question

i'm having difficulties using linebuild ,why does it link all points and not in single line ?

imagei have an excel file with a GPS coordinates that i changed into points using vertexcreator

i'm tying to build a line between those 500+ points, i used linebuild but instead of one line i got a lot of em

if anyone knows how to fix it please tell me !

it should look like this ( same excel file just sorted by Date attribute ) :

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

The LineBuilder will connect points in the order they enter the transformer. Are they in the correct order? If not, you can use a Sorter to sort them prior to using the LineBuilder.

The LineBuilder will connect points in the order they enter the transformer. Are they in the correct order? If not, you can use a Sorter to sort them prior to using the LineBuilder.

yes i used a sorter (By ID), not working

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Okay, so if you sort by REL_DATE (like you did in QGIS) it should work. Maybe you need to format it to an FME Datetime first using the DateTimeFormatter.

yes it works,

but i need it to work by ID to see the difference between the two trajectories (the one by Date and the one by ID).

i just don't know why it doesn't work :/ !

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Then you can group the LineBuilder by ID (but keep the sorting by date otherwise the points are connected in the wrong order). However, in the screenshot you're showing it does appear all points have a unique id, so that won't get you lines at all.

We really want to help you, but we do need to have all the information to do so.

i'm sorry for the late reply, and i appreciate your help,thank you.

what i'm trying to do is, someone is supposed to take a tour over houses following a pre-determined trajectory which he didn't follow

so i'm trying to determine the trajectory that he chose (byID) and compare it by the pre-determined one (By Rel_Date)

i can provide you with the files i'm working on if its ok with you ofc.

PS: I'm new to FME and there's a lack of educational resources ( Excluding FME official documentation and YouTube channel) so i'm trying to learn on my own.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

With regards to educational resources, did you see the FME Academy yet?

Your issue sounds a lot like a project I did a couple of years back: client was a aerial survey company who had to photograph pipelines every 2 weeks to check for illegal digging, they had a contractual obligation to cover the entire route every time and document why they missed a spot, so by comparing their GPS track with the pipeline we could have the pilot record those omissions mere minutes after the flight.

So, based on what you are telling me you have one Excel file with points for both trajectories. You can distinguish the trajectories by ID and the points have a date/time attribute.

If you use a Sorter to sort on ID first and date/time second and then a LineBuilder which you group on ID you should get 2 lines.

If that does not work, please share screenshots of how you have those transformers set up (their parameter panels)

it didn't work :/

file :

imagevertex creator :

imagesorter :

imagelinebuilder:

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Every point has a unique id. Based on those id's there is no way to distinguish the 2 lines you are talking about. The LineBuilder works perfectly, it will only connect points that have the same id value, but there are none.

so if i set the ID for all of them to 1 for exemple it should work ?

PS: didn't work

i think i'm taking a wrong approche to it,

it doesn't make sense to sort em by ID.

maybe i need different data but on the same work area so that i can compare the two trajectory over time ( not like i'm doing now )