Question

How do I properly convert a CityGML with instanced geometries to Cesium 3D Tiles?

I have created a 3D object that used as a geometry instance and placed at a set of point coordinates.

My input was a citygml exported from an original sketchup model and a shapefile file for the points. I created a final citygml file combining those two with the instanced geometries. When I upload it to cesium ion as the citygml it works perfectly fine and cesium creates the tiles for me.

Since I need the 3D Tile to use in my application, I then also tried to transform this citygml into a 3D Tile with FME. I simply used the 3D Tile writer. It works without errors and I also can upload it in Cesium ion and I don't get an error. However, when I try to use this 3D Tile in my Stories on Cesium Ion, I cannot see anything. My 3D objects do not show up.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? The citygml that I created seems to be perfectly fine and usable in cesium but the 3D Tile that I create with FME does not show anything in Cesium.

I would really appreciate some help on this

2 replies

Badge +6

We recently made a number of enhancements to our Cesium 3D Tiles Writer for FME 2022.1. For more information on this see our reply to a related Cesium Enhancements question.

Given these recent enhancements, I would strongly recommend trying your workflow using FME 2022.1 or later. Note that if you are editing an existing workspace you will need to update or replace the writer. You may also want to look at using a MeshMerger or MeshSimplifier before writing which may or may not help depending on the data involved. If you still have trouble getting this to work please contact us at support.

Hi Dean, Thanks a lot for your answer. We have figured it out. Just forgot to add the data and import the whole thing as a zip instead of just using the tileset.json. All good now.

I do have another question however: We are trying to get our 3D Tiles to perfectly match up with the Cesium World Terrain. I know in Cesium you have the option to clamp a citygml to the terrain but is there any way to do that with 3D Tiles as well?

Is there anything in FME that I can do to achieve that? Do you know of a workspace that can help me do this?

I appreciate the help and I look forward to hearing back from you