Question

Assistance needed connecting to Microsoft Dataverse

Badge +4

I have been able to connect/authenticate to Dataverse with Postman by following the steps in this guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/developer/data-platform/webapi/setup-postman-environment

I have tried using the Dynamics 365 web service for this connection, but could not get it to work. I am trying to create a new web service in FME Desktop that uses the OAuth 2.0 implicit grant type to retrieve at token, as in the steps from the linked guide, but have been unsuccessful at this as well; when I try to authenticate or create a new web connection from the web service, I am unable to get the browser window/sign in prompt to appear and allow me to enter my account credentials.

I am attempting to create this web service as a new Token Service, rather than a new OAuth 2.0 Service, as the parameters for this type of service seem to be what I need to enter/what I am doing with Postman.

image.png

2 replies

Hi,

I am having the same issue.

We are using power apps to build an app and the data is stored in dataverse (seems to be dynamics crm underneath).

I've tried using FME desktop (2020.2) to pull the data out via the following methods, but nothing works:

-sql executor (tried sql server /non spatial/ jdbc/azure sql db /non spatial / jdbc formats)

-dynamics 365 web connection

-dynamics 365 secret web connection

Microsofts documentation says that you can use SQL sever management studio to connect to dataverse and use sql to query the tables. I have tried this and it does work, which is why I tried the sql executor but in SSMS there is an option for Azure Active Directory authentication, which I'm using but there is no option for that in FME when adding a database connection.

I've followed the same postman setup instructions as you and that work also, so I tried to replicate it in the Dynamics 365 web connection but it doesnt work properly, the log seems to output some html (it could be the sign in page), which should be in a pop up window but just goes to the log console.

The dynamics 365 secret web connection seems to authenticate when creating the connection, but fails with a 'the user is not a member of the organization' error when running the workbench.

Can safe (  @safesoftware safesoftware​ @Takashi Iijima​ ? ) please confirm if connections to dataverse are possible?

The web connectors may be out of date.

Badge +2

@mechomicky_bmcd​ and @tim_tfwm​ 

I would agree, the existing Dynamics connection was created 5? 6? years ago, and as we at Safe do not have access to Dynamics / Dataverse this makes it hard to test. However, I have had success with other Microsoft web connections and if it works in Postman, I'm hopeful that we can get it working in FME.

If you'd like, the easiest way to try would be to do this on a screen share. You can use this link to book a time for us in the next week.