Question

Sort necessary with FeatureWriter fanout?

Badge +8

I have an existing workspace that writes files using a fanout by a selected attribute. The workspace has been promoted to FME Server and runs on a monthly schedule. I noticed recently that the resulting number of output files was incorrect and after some troubleshooting I realized that the workspace will not work as expected unless the features are sorted by the attribute prior to being sent to the FeatureWriter with the dataset fanout by attribute. Should it be necessary to sort first? Is this something new?

3 replies

Userlevel 4

Did you perhaps activate group processing in the FeatureWriter? This setting might explain the described behavior:

Badge +8

No, that isn't it...

imageFor now I've added a Sorter upstream as a workaround but I've used the same technique in a bunch of other workspaces, and so I'm a bit concerned. Time will tell I guess, as to whether or not the problem is related to only this one particular workspace.

Userlevel 4

No, that isn't it...

imageFor now I've added a Sorter upstream as a workaround but I've used the same technique in a bunch of other workspaces, and so I'm a bit concerned. Time will tell I guess, as to whether or not the problem is related to only this one particular workspace.

You may want to verify if similar functionality has been activated on any of the upstream transformers, e.g. the FeatureMerger and the option "suppliers first".