Question

Can you read in files to FME that contain special/accented characters in their filenames?

Hi! I am trying to read into FME a series of images (jpeg/tif/png) and then match them to a different datasource and rename them using pieces of information from both sources. All works well.

But. I have some files which contain special/accented characters which aren't being read in. For example the filename below

Anadolu Koyu PLAN_IZMIT KÖRFEZI TO ISTANBUL.jpg

throws an error 'Anadolu Koyu PLAN_IZMIT KÖRFEZI TO ISTANBUL.jpg' cannot be located. Please ensure the file exists and is accessible'

The common denominator in all of the errors is the special/accented characters.

My question is whether I am missing something and I can get FME to read the filenames and bring them into the workspace, or whether I need to handle these (hundreds of) files manually?

All helps much appreciated!

4 replies

Userlevel 4

Did you test with FME 2022? It's got some fairly important improvements regarding extended characters.

Did you test with FME 2022? It's got some fairly important improvements regarding extended characters.

Hi David, thanks for responding. I actually haven't, so I'll go and get downloading now...

Hi David, I just got IT to install the new version and sadly it's still not reading any files with accented characters in. Do you have any other thoughts?

Userlevel 4

Hi David, I just got IT to install the new version and sadly it's still not reading any files with accented characters in. Do you have any other thoughts?

In that case you may want to contact your FME reseller or Safe support.