Solved

TIN surfaces and Normals

Hello!

I am currently Generating TIN surfaces from a pointcloud and exporting as a FBX.

I am having some issues with bad looking edges, aswell as vertexnormals looking like split normals everywhere (hard edges, see image below)

Imported into Unreal enginezoomed inAs you can see from the images here, the triangulation is very rough. is there anyway to average those normals to get a more smooth experience? Think smoothing groups, from 3D studio max or something similar. i dont want to actually change the geometry, just the visuals.

This was generated from a 4x4km pointcloud with a TIN generator surface tolerance at 0.5 (just to speed up the process).

Best Regards.

Oskar Wallin

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 12 July 2022, 00:47

View original

3 replies

Badge +11

Hi, there is a Smoothing Groups parameter in 3ds max, maybe there is a similar module, plugin or setting in your visualization program?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @oskarwallin90​,

I have added a custom transformer to FME Hub, the MeshSmoother. This transformer will adjust all the vertex normals in a Mesh geometry so they reflect the average of all the face normals attached to them. This should provide the smoothing you are looking for, if the renderer supports it.

You can use the Triangulator or the GeometryCoercer to convert Surfaces to Meshes.

Please try the transformer and let me know if it works OK for you.

Hi @oskarwallin90​,

I have added a custom transformer to FME Hub, the MeshSmoother. This transformer will adjust all the vertex normals in a Mesh geometry so they reflect the average of all the face normals attached to them. This should provide the smoothing you are looking for, if the renderer supports it.

You can use the Triangulator or the GeometryCoercer to convert Surfaces to Meshes.

Please try the transformer and let me know if it works OK for you.

thank you, it does exactly what i was looking for :)