Question

GDB to SHP field length >254

Badge +1

We want to convert a GDB to SHP file with field type string and length>254. How can we keep the data with maximum size 254, but not ignore the data

Thanks

5 replies

Badge +9

I don't think this is possible it is literally a limitation of the .shp format. Your only option is to use another format. I guess you could split up the attribute that contains more than 254 characters into multiple attributes.

See the same question on another site

Badge +1

I don't think this is possible it is literally a limitation of the .shp format. Your only option is to use another format. I guess you could split up the attribute that contains more than 254 characters into multiple attributes.

See the same question on another site

understand. Is any tramsformer can I used to change the max field length of schema if the data is not long, but the schema field length is 65536

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

understand. Is any tramsformer can I used to change the max field length of schema if the data is not long, but the schema field length is 65536

There's no need to use a transformer for that, you can specify the field length in the Shape writer (with that 254 char maximum of course)

Badge +1

Thanks, But we are using Dynamic schema

Badge +2

@viviancfhung​ The shape file .dbf file has a limit on the text length of 254 as mentioned by @Hans van der Maarel​