Question

What's Up Wednesday (29-June-2022): User Conference Details, Cache Flow Analysis, FME Jobs, Polish Resources, and a Fight Between Good and Evil!

• 29 June 2022
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello everyone, here is your weekly FME newsletter.

User Conference Details

The FME User Conference is coming up quickly (August 24-26 in Vancouver) and most of my work now is preparing for the event. We recently published the full agenda so you can see all of the sessions taking place, including user presentations:

WUW-2022-06-29-01 

I have to say that the presentation lineup reads like a Who's Who of FME experts. There is an impressive range of talks by a host of top speakers, and I think we're all going to learn a lot during the week.

In particular interest, we have two sessions titled "Special Interest Groups"; one for local government and one for utilities:

WUW-2022-06-29-02 

I think the hope is to improve networking and create a community of like-minded users that lasts beyond the conference, which would be great to see.

Outside of the presentations, there is always a lot of activity, and this is no exception. In fact, we published a blog post yesterday about these activities.

The news is that there will be no Doctor's Office! But don't be alarmed... you still have access to our support staff as before. The only difference is that we don't have to dress up in doctor's coats:

WUW-2022-06-29-03...for which our staff are thankful. Instead, we're calling it the Tech Solutions Lounge.

That will be part of a larger "Basecamp" with spaces for different aspects of FME and Safe. For example, I'm working on a space for users called the Community Café.

CommunityCafeSmallTo give you some advance info, at the Community Café I hope to have a printer for you to print a community username label, to add to your conference badge, so we can match a real name to "FMEfan84" or "SpatialSusan".

I've also got a bunch of FME trading cards to give out to community members, some fun games to play, and we'll welcome users from around the world by highlighting different coffee cultures.

So... if you aren't registered for the User Conference yet, what are you waiting for? Visit the registration page for more information, including advice on how to justify the trip to your boss!

Cache Flow Analysis

I see that there is a watch on-demand ability for Dave Eagle's recent webinar on caching in FME Workbench:

WUW-2022-06-29-04 

The comments on LinkedIn suggest that users see caching as one of the most important additions to FME, ever!

FME Jobs

Each week when I look for FME news, I often find a group of similar posts. Last week it was case studies, this week it's FME jobs.

To start off, SpatialDNA has a role open for someone "interested in developing integrations on the FME platform". It's based in Toronto and is one of a couple of positions they have open.

Also in Canada (but offering remote) Esri has the position of GIS Data Migration Lead available:

WUW-2022-06-29-05 

A specific skill requirement is "Extensive knowledge of FME Safe Software for data conversions", which I suspect most folk reading this newsletter would have!

Of course, I'm sure it helps in your career if you are FME Certified, so you might want to check into that, if you're not certified already!

Polish Resources

Personally, I understand nothing beyond the words "Transformer Guide" but if you are in Poland then you will want to get a copy of this document, translated by our partner Globema:

WUW-2022-06-29-06 

A Fight Between Good and Evil

The latest podcast episode by EM360 featuring Safe Software president Don Murray is entitled "Data's Role in the Fight Between Good and Evil"!

WUW-2022-06-29-07 

As the introductory text says, data by itself is neither good nor bad; it's how we use the data that can affect the lives of people around the world. It sounds interesting and it's certainly going to be my afternoon listening.

Congratulations

Congratulations to newly certified FME users, who this week include Marnick Clé of Nordend, Frances Lynn (both FME Professional); Rachin Jain, Jacob Toxen-Worm (both FME Server Professional); and a very happy-looking Marie-Rosanne van Rietschoten (FME Business Professional).

WUW-2022-06-29-08 

FME Scavenger Hunt

A quick mention of this ongoing event. Team Nordend is rocketing up the table thanks to great work on the Where in the World challenges. But... for the GPS challenges I'm afraid you actually have to visit Mexico City, not Mexigo:

WUW-2022-06-29-09 

...but I'm amused enough to give you a few bonus points for this brave attempt!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Thanks for news @mark2atsafe​