Solved

How do I read the coordinate reference system in a DGN file?

Badge +2

I have DGN file. In Microstation I can see that it had a defined GCS (ETRS89 / UTM zone 32N) When I read the file with FME the coordinate system is not recognised. How do I get FME to read the GCS details?

icon

Best answer by jovitaatsafe 9 July 2022, 00:46

View original

5 replies

Badge +11

1. set GCC when reading a file

image2. https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Transformers/Transformers/coordinatesystemsetter.htm

3. If your GCC is not in the library, create MyCoordSysDefs

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Desktop/Workbench/coordinate_sys_custom_about.htm

Badge +2

Thanks but I only know what it is because I opened it in Microstation first. I'm going to be running a process on 3000 files with different GCS so I need FME to read the GCS stored in each file (where there is one)

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @eric_armitage​,

Unfortunately it looks like our Microstation reader/writer format does not currently have support for coordinate systems according to our format documentation. We have an enhancement request tracked internally as (FMEENGINE-9051) to add support for coordinate systems. I've linked this question to it and we'll be back to update when it's been addressed.

For most other formats that do support coordinate systems though, it is definitely possible to set it in the reader or CoordinateSystemSetter if you know the corresponding coordinate system for the dataset.

Badge +2

Hi @eric_armitage​,

Unfortunately it looks like our Microstation reader/writer format does not currently have support for coordinate systems according to our format documentation. We have an enhancement request tracked internally as (FMEENGINE-9051) to add support for coordinate systems. I've linked this question to it and we'll be back to update when it's been addressed.

For most other formats that do support coordinate systems though, it is definitely possible to set it in the reader or CoordinateSystemSetter if you know the corresponding coordinate system for the dataset.

Thanks for the information. I would be very useful !!

Badge +2

As a work around from Microstation we exported a list of the GCS for each DGN file . We then created a list of the different systems (about 10) and added the equivalent FME coordinate system name as a new attribute. We could then use the coordinatesystemsetter to set the coordinate system to the attribute value. It works fine but seems strange that you can't read the GCS directly from the file with FME.