Question

Make 3D faces from points

Badge +1

Hi, I know this is probably very simple but cant think of an easy way to do it. Create faces from points centered at the point. lets say i want 1x1m big faces, thought of creating same amount of faces as points and just offset but there must be a way to convert my input points to faces instead. I used FaceReplacer before but it wont accept points

testI tried extrude 3 times, x y and z, but then I get correct results sure but with weird middle line that I dont want. I want a solid block/box with a certain x y and z measure

workspaceresult not favorable

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

Not sure if this is the best way to do this, but one way to do it is:

• Use a Creator transformer to create the face you need.
  • Extract the FME XML from that face using the GeometryExtractor.
  • Calculate the values for each point from the original coordinate.
  • Replace the coordinates in the xml with attribute values.
  • Replace the point with the face using the GeometryReplacer based on the xml.
Userlevel 3
Badge +16

You can use a Bufferer with end cap style: Square to convert the points to squares, then FaceReplacer on that.

If you want each side of a cube as its own face, the chain is Bufferer -> Extruder -> GeometryCoercer (to polygon) -> Deaggregator -> FaceReplacer.

The weird middle line you see in the inspector doesn't exist. I think it's there because it needs triangles to render in 3D. If you check the geometry of any face, you'll see it's one geometry with only 5 vertices.