Question

Attribute Remover Before wrting to SDE writer

Badge +8

Hi, I need to understand some FME log statements that is :

INFORM|Combiner: The following attributes will be generated with default values because they are required but not present on the feature: fme_rejection_code

When writing output to the ArcSDE writer, which is set to Insert and Update, I use Attribute remover to remove attributes that I do not want to write, but I forgot to include fme_rejection_code in a list of attributes to remove. I am concerned that the writer will include this attribute in the feature class. I realized I had forgotten to remove a couple more attributes from in attribute remover. Is it going to break something at the back-end ArcSDE. I dont see any new attributes added in the feature classes though.

I appreciate any assistance on this issue.

Thanks,

3 replies

Badge +8

Hi @fme_can_do_it​ 

Based on the description, it appears that you are trying to write to an existing ArcSDE table.

Typically when using this kind of operation it is recommended that you have to ensure that proper schema definitions are loaded in the workspace.

There are two options

1. When adding Writer to the workspace using "Import from Dataset..." for Layer Definition.
  2. Update Existing workspace and writer, please go to Writer --> Update Feature Types

UpdateFeatuerTypeBoth options will ensure that the schema is coming from the existing table and the attributes in the workspace will get ignored.

If you really want to write all the attributes in the workflow.

You have to set the following setting in Writer feature type properties.

User Attribute to "Dynamic"

Table Handing to "Drop and Create"

This will ensure that all the attributes arrive at the Writer feature type. You can use Attribute Manager just before the writer feature to manage the attributes. Hope this helps.

Badge +8

Hi @fme_can_do_it​ 

Based on the description, it appears that you are trying to write to an existing ArcSDE table.

Typically when using this kind of operation it is recommended that you have to ensure that proper schema definitions are loaded in the workspace.

There are two options

1. When adding Writer to the workspace using "Import from Dataset..." for Layer Definition.
  2. Update Existing workspace and writer, please go to Writer --> Update Feature Types

UpdateFeatuerTypeBoth options will ensure that the schema is coming from the existing table and the attributes in the workspace will get ignored.

If you really want to write all the attributes in the workflow.

You have to set the following setting in Writer feature type properties.

User Attribute to "Dynamic"

Table Handing to "Drop and Create"

This will ensure that all the attributes arrive at the Writer feature type. You can use Attribute Manager just before the writer feature to manage the attributes. Hope this helps.

Hi @rahulsharma​ ,

Yes, I used the "Import from dataset" option when I was adding the ArcSDE writer. I do not want to write attributes like fme_rejection_code and the ones I prefixed in the workspace during the Feature joiner, I accidentally left those in the attribute keeper. I just want to make sure it's not going to affect anything at the back-end database.

Badge +8

Hi @rahulsharma​ ,

Yes, I used the "Import from dataset" option when I was adding the ArcSDE writer. I do not want to write attributes like fme_rejection_code and the ones I prefixed in the workspace during the Feature joiner, I accidentally left those in the attribute keeper. I just want to make sure it's not going to affect anything at the back-end database.

In the Attribute Keeper transformer, I have removed the fme_rejection_code attribute and some prefixed attributes, but I still get this message in the log. unsure where this data is written.

|INFORM|Combiner: The following attributes will be generated with default values because they are required but not present on the feature: fme_rejection_code, abc_Planned_Wire, abc_Unplanned_Wire