Question

Is there an FME method for scaling the top face of an extruded area feature?

The Scaler transformer looks to be the sort of thing I need, but seems to scale the entire feature, rather than just the top face. I seem to remember, years back, a tutorial where 3D features were deconstructed, altered, and re-combined again, so maybe there's a solution that works like that? Thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

There may be a more elegant solution, but this may work. Extract the coordinates, determine the max z value, force down to 2d, then extrude the 3d feature using an arithmetic calculation in the Extruder. (I used 90% of original height in this example.)image

There may be a more elegant solution, but this may work. Extract the coordinates, determine the max z value, force down to 2d, then extrude the 3d feature using an arithmetic calculation in the Extruder. (I used 90% of original height in this example.)image

Many thanks! I'll give this a try now. :0)

Ah, OK, having now taken a look, this isn't quite what I was looking for, although the method is of interest to me. What I should have specified in the original question (this didn't occur to me...) is that the scaling should be on the XY axis, not on Z. Anyhow, thanks again for your response...I think that still may be useful to me.