Question

FME 2022: Error in Translation after a successful translation process

Badge +1

FME 2022 Workbench is showing 'Error in Translation' after a successful Translation (See Screenshot). The Data Inspector window doesn't open after the translation.

Is there a bug in FME 2022 causing this?

What can I do to work around this issue?

The log file is available on request.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Are you performing any shutdown scripts, either python or Tcl?

Badge

Hi @emeka_domingo​ can you provide some further information about your workspace like what formats you are working with? Does this happen when you click the Data Inspector button on the Visual Preview?

Does the Data Inspector work when you start it outside of FME Desktop?

Also sharing your log file would be helpful thanks.

Badge +1

Are you performing any shutdown scripts, either python or Tcl?

No

Badge +1

Hi @emeka_domingo​ can you provide some further information about your workspace like what formats you are working with? Does this happen when you click the Data Inspector button on the Visual Preview?

Does the Data Inspector work when you start it outside of FME Desktop?

Also sharing your log file would be helpful thanks.

The Data Inspector works when started outside of the FME Desktop.

Find the log file attached.

Badge

Not an answer, but I am getting the exact same thing. Workbench runs to the writer and then fails, "Error in Translation" with no reason given. If I run the workbench to a transformer, and then run it from the transformer to the Writer it works without an issue.

I'm having the same issue in v2022.1.3. So this hasn't been fixed since v2022.0.0? It seems to happen intermittently. Originally in the first couple of tests on a simple workbench (Creator, FeatureReader and Attribute Creator, and inspector(s)) the inspector opened and displayed the data. After adding a second Attribute creator for testing and another inspector attached to it the inspector does not open and at the end of the log in the Translation Log window it shows an 'Error in Translation' at the bottom after noting 'Translation was successful'. Upon inspecting the the fsi file noted in the log (ex 'C:\\Users\\<user>\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\wb-inspectors-ycaTVS\\inspector.fsi') we see that the data is in the .fsi file so it seems that the call to open the inspector is the problem? That failed call maybe the reason for the 'Error in Translation' message?

BTW I was originally looking into another error with the Attribute Creator, that does not display the feature+1. and feature -1. attribute values in the text editor window after enabling Adjacent Feature handling when trying to compose additional attributes in the workbench using the same attribute creator that I has used to create new attributes earlier before turning on Adjacent Feature handling. The attributes do appear in the drop down Attributes list. Within the attribute creator itself after closing the transformer I found that upon reopening it (at times) the Adjacent Feature handling would be disabled and the corresponding attributes are no longer available. WTH!?

As an aside, having just upgraded to v2022.1.3 I am constantly being alerted by other users of bugs they are coming across in this version. Considering going to something else at this point as suggested by FME support (they always do) but what will I do when I go to v2022.2 or v2023 (beta)? Not much room to maneuver. We moved to this to allow for dealing with new formats for ESRI gdb. I spend most of my time investigating new bugs, most of which are not resolved and have no work arounds. Its turning into a 'laughable'? nightmare. Anyone else having similar experiences?