Solved

Error Updating Existing ArcGIS Portal Feature Layer

Hi all,

I'm running into an issue when trying to INSERT & TRUNCATE an existing ArcGIS Portal feature layer via an FME writer. The error message I am receiving can be seen below:

ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer: Encountered an unexpected error. The error code from the server was '500' and the message was: 'Cannot perform operation. Invalid operation parameters.'. Details: ''

I've read through a couple of older posts about this issue and followed the suggested fixes, but these don't seem to help in my case - fixes include checking there isn't a mismatch in schemas, and reducing the 'Feature Per Request' in the writer settings.

To see if there was an issue with updating more complex feature layers, I have tested with a simple feature layer and still having the same error message. This polygon feature layer (3x rows, 1x string field) was published from ArcGIS Pro to Portal and can be read into FME with no issue, but the same error occurs when trying to write out.

The writer begins processing and is able to successfully TRUNCATE, before stopping and displaying the error above when it tries to INSERT (leaving the layer empty on Portal). As the writer has no issue truncating the existing layer, this tells me there is no issue with the connection to the ArcGIS Portal layer.

Out of curiosity I also tried the same with a point feature layer, and had no issues. 

Is anyone else running into this issue? Any help would be much appreciated!

icon

Best answer by mackenziebrown 18 October 2022, 05:32

View original

8 replies

I am getting exactly the same issue, how did you manage to fix this?

Only seems to happen for Polygon feature when updating it.

Badge +2

@jonbatz01​ you generally see the 500 error is the Portal Server is not available of if there are incorrect permissions on the target feature class

I also have same problem with polygon.

I also tried everything but not resolve.

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

Hello all, check out this thread. It seems that what Mark was saying might be the issue. Be sure to have the correct permissions on your Portal Server and be sure to restart it before trying again.

Hope this helps~

@jonbatz01​ you generally see the 500 error is the Portal Server is not available of if there are incorrect permissions on the target feature class

I'm owner of this layer. It is not gives any error in point and line layer. It is only create problem in polygon. how it could be a permission problem.

Hello all, check out this thread. It seems that what Mark was saying might be the issue. Be sure to have the correct permissions on your Portal Server and be sure to restart it before trying again.

Hope this helps~

I'm owner of this layer. It is not gives any error in point and line layer. It is only create problem in polygon. how it could be a permission problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

Hi @piyushpatel​ this sounds like it is a bug. What version of FME are you using by chance? You might want to submit a support case with your workspace, and any relevant information so that we are able to reproduce this for our developers.

Hi, I was having the exact same error when trying to update a polygon layer which I was also the owner of.

After trying a few things suggested above - changing the 'Features Per Request' in the Portal writer parameters from 1000 to 100 is what worked for me!