Question

Configuring FME Server job to output locally

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

I have very limited experience in configuring FME Server, so this may be a softball question.

I have workspace that generates a set of shapefiles, and outputs those to a directory specified in a published parameter. However, when uploading this workspace to Server, the output is only available as a download. Can FME Server be configured to output the results to the published parameter directory? In the case of this workbench, it would be a local directory.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

When publishing a workspace to Server, the last step is to choose the service, or the mode the workspace runs as. It sounds like it was published as a Data Download (writer output is returned to user as a file download), when for your use you'd want it to be a standard Job Submitter. Job Submitter is the most similar to running a workspace with FME Desktop.

In terms of the location the server outputs the data to, it can be anywhere the server can see/has permission to write to. So (depending on your network) it probably can't write to your own computer's drive, but it probably can write to a shared network location.

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

When publishing a workspace to Server, the last step is to choose the service, or the mode the workspace runs as. It sounds like it was published as a Data Download (writer output is returned to user as a file download), when for your use you'd want it to be a standard Job Submitter. Job Submitter is the most similar to running a workspace with FME Desktop.

In terms of the location the server outputs the data to, it can be anywhere the server can see/has permission to write to. So (depending on your network) it probably can't write to your own computer's drive, but it probably can write to a shared network location.

@ctredinnick​ Thank you. That is likely my issue...that the server isn't able to write to my local drive. I didn't think about that.