Question

FME 2021 and Python 2.7 Error: A compatible ArcGIS application could not be found

My Setup:

FME 2021.2

ArcGIS Desktop 10.8 advanced, 64bit backgroundGP

Python 2.7 (C:\\Python27\\ArcGIS10.8 and C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\python27.dll)

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3

Python 3.7 (C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\Python\\envs\\arcgispro-py3)

FME Workbench uses py 2.7 scripts (GeoScaler).

ESRI ArcGIS Compatibility: Auto

Python Compatibility set to Esri ArcGIS Pyton 2.7

ArcGIS Desktop started in advace to get the license from the server.

Workbench run stops with an error:

ERROR : A compatible ArcGIS application could not be found or is not licensed for Python Compatibility 'Esri ArcGIS Python 2.7'ERROR : FME supports Python 2.7 and Python 3.6 to 3.8. A compatible ArcGIS Python within the supported range could not be found. Please ensure a proper ArcGIS is installed with an architecture matching FME's

A Python interpreter could not be loaded. Please ensure the workspace `Python Compatibility` is set to an available Python version

Program Terminating

Translation FAILED.

I have no idea.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Does it help to set the Esri ArcGIS Compatibility to Esri ArcMap?

What is the last installed component, ArcGIS Desktop or Background Geoprocessing (64-bit)? I think I had more success with installing background geoprocessing as the last component, but I can't promise this is your issue.

Did you test with a large workspace or with a small one? Just to isolate issues I tested with a workspace with only a Creator and PythonCaller with

import fme
import arcpy

def processFeature(feature):
    print("Current version is " + arcpy.GetInstallInfo()['Version'])
    pass

Badge +8

Hi @m_arc_o​ 

It appears that you currently do not have 64bit background geoprocessing installed.

The quickest way to test this would be open ArcMap/ArcCatalog application, go to Help --> About

https://www.screencast.com/t/FWAhRvzre

Ensure that it matches the version of ArcMap i.e. 10.8, in your case.

If you have 64bit background geoprocessing installed, you should also have a folder

C:\\Python27\\ArcGIS10.8x64

Hope this helps

Thank you @nielsgerrits​ and @rahulsharma​ ! You helped a lot! I found out that my 64 bit background geoprocessing was not installed the right way. unistall, reinstall fixed my problem. thanks a lot!