Question

Convert kml with attachments to geodatabase

Badge

Hei

I am trying to convert a kml file into a geodatabase, because the kml file has attached pictures that were taken. If I do it via arcgis software I don't get the information, just the points. Via FME I can get the points, the information about the points, and that existes some jpg files attached to the points, but not the jpg files.

Shapefiles don't allow to attach files into, but geodatabase allows that.

Someone with experience on that?

In attachment you can find an example to teste.

Thank you in advance,

Artur

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hello @arturmlribeiro​ 

I would recommend exposing the kml_document _path on the KML reader's Document feature type to get the path to the JPEG files. This attribute contains the temporary file path of where FME has extracted the KMZ file and the parent directory should contain the image directory with the JPG photos.

Use the kml_document_path format attribute from the KML reader's Document feature type to get JPG pathsYou should then be able to use this information to write attachments as shown in this article. I will see if I can create an example of this workflow next week.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hello @arturmlribeiro​ 

I would recommend exposing the kml_document _path on the KML reader's Document feature type to get the path to the JPEG files. This attribute contains the temporary file path of where FME has extracted the KMZ file and the parent directory should contain the image directory with the JPG photos.

Use the kml_document_path format attribute from the KML reader's Document feature type to get JPG pathsYou should then be able to use this information to write attachments as shown in this article. I will see if I can create an example of this workflow next week.

Attached is an example workspace reading from KML and writing to a feature class with attachments. As noted in the writing geodatabase attachment article, both the relationship class and attachments table must be created in ArcGIS beforehand as FME can only write to an existing relationship class.

In addition, it is recommended not to use partial runs with the workspace as kml_document_path is a temporary file path.

Badge

Attached is an example workspace reading from KML and writing to a feature class with attachments. As noted in the writing geodatabase attachment article, both the relationship class and attachments table must be created in ArcGIS beforehand as FME can only write to an existing relationship class.

In addition, it is recommended not to use partial runs with the workspace as kml_document_path is a temporary file path.

Hei @debbiatsafe​ 

Thank you so much for your answer. During weekend I tried to follow the image above FilenamePartExtractor and FeaturerReader without success.

Running you workflow I encounter a few problems that made it no continue. I activated the relationship on the database after the first run so it will accept attachments, but I continue to encounter error messages again

Badge

Extract from the log file is attached

Edit session in on

edit_session" data-fileid="0694Q00000GIXqdQAHI will take a look again tomorrow. In the meanwhile, if you understand what I am doing wrong, feel free :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Try deleting the geodatabase writer and adding a new one. Remember to set the Transaction Type to 'Edit Session' after adding the new writer. It may also help to delete the feature class, recreate it, and re-enable attachments for the feature class before running the workspace.