Question

extract file name when using wild card search input

I have thousands of photos, under multiple sub folders, which i have been attempting to extract the photo date. I have used the jpeg reader together with option to search sub folders, however, none of the exif options allow me to append the original file details. I'm new to fme so it's probably something simple as if i pick a single file then the filepathextractor works a treat.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

In FME features can have exposed (visible in Table View in the Visual Preview) and unexposed (visible in the Feature Information window in the Visual Preview) attributes.

2022-05-23_12h10_37The attribute you are looking for is fme_dataset, which is unexposed by default. You can expose this attribute by manually add the attribute name in the AttributeExposer or by checking the attribute in the "Additional Attributes to Expose" in the (Feature)Reader.

As an alternative you can use a "Directory and File Pathnames" Reader to scan for folders / files and use the path_windows attribute as input for the next reader. FeatureReaders can be chained together. This is the way I prefer working.

Also, personally, I prefer to have the results in a different window, on a second screen. This can be switched on with the checkbox "Inspect with Data Inspector when Visual Prevuew window closed" which you can find via Tools, Options, tab Workbench.

Thank you worked a treat