Question

Appending data from second Excel worksheet to the first one

Badge +6

Hi all,

I'm trying to merge two separate excel spreadsheets. Both worksheets have the same names and number of columns. However, they do not have a common primary key to perform a join. All I'm looking for is to append the contents of the second spreadsheet to the end of the first so that I have a single spreadsheet at the end.

How can we achieve this kind of merging without using the FME transforms inheriting from the SQL language (FeatureMerger or FeatureJoiner) in FME Desktop?

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

If both worksheets have the same schema (column names), then you really don't need to join or merge anything. Simply feed both Readers into a Excel Writer with the same schema, and all features entering the writer will be treated as a single output.image

Badge +6

Hi @ddbrocarto,

Thank you for your answer to my question. Yes, both Excel spreadsheets have the same schema. Surely there is no possibility to combine the two worksheets through a transformer without using joins... In my case, I have to go through some data processing steps such as filtering (tester), editing , searching and replacing strings and finally geocoding before the final result...

So I clearly understand that I need to input my two Excel spreadsheets into separate input reader ports and process all the steps before outputting the two Excel data schemas into one output. I think I understood the problem and the workflow. I will try it!

Thanks again @ddbrocato!

Badge

you can also use a junction to do this appending anywhere in your workspace

Badge +6

Hi @ddbrocato and @rudewi,

Thank you again @ddbrocato for your help. I've successfully completed my workflow with the method you advise me and it's work fine. See attach my FME Desktop workflow.

@rudewi I'll try to append the data worksheet using junction. I've never tried this before.

Regards,