Question

I've got a SQL table reader then using a writer to export data into multiple files by location. I have an excel template that I need to use which has a Main Title on row 1 and a Subtitle on row2 and header row starts on row 4.

The data needs to output from Row 5 cell A to U. I can see you can use the start position of 5 which works but everything above get's wiped out so I loose the headers. How to I stop loosing the titles and headers from the output in Excel in FME?

4 replies

Badge +2

@narinder​ make sure you have the correct settings under the Drop/Truncate exposure group on the Excel writer feature type. You might also have to set the Template Sheet on the feature type, if the sheets in your template file do not match the name of the sheets you are writing.

Perhaps include an example workspace and sample data to illustrate what settings you are using and where things are going wrong

So my workspace looks like this:

imageThe Excel Template looks like this:

imageI've adjusted the feature type writer for Excel to output to Row 5 like this:

imageBut when I run it, the Titles and header get wiped out:

imageThis was the excel parameters:

imageSo I'm unclear how to stop it from wiping the titles and header. I can successfully output the header and data from row 1 if i don't select the start position but I'm trying to work out how to fit the original template where the data starts from Row 5

Badge +2

@narinder​ I've attached a small example workspace (FME 2021.2) that illustrates how you can use a template.

The parameters that I have set are:

Excel Writer Parameters:

- Overwrite Existing File: Yes

- Template File: <filename>

Excel Writer Feature Type:

Output Field Names:: No

Start Row:: 5

@narinder​ I've attached a small example workspace (FME 2021.2) that illustrates how you can use a template.

The parameters that I have set are:

Excel Writer Parameters:

- Overwrite Existing File: Yes

- Template File: <filename>

Excel Writer Feature Type:

Output Field Names:: No

Start Row:: 5

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, that has helped with what I need to do. Cheers