Question

Inserting data into spatialite table does not create geometry / fill geometry column (FME 2022)

Hello.

I am in need of dynamically moving data from one spatialite database to another.

Both of these databases (.gigdb files) in this case use same schema. However in the example files I have attached one file (DTMK-2022_07_1.gigdb) has one more feature in feature type (table) a0100000321 than the other file. I would like to copy this extra feature to the second file, same table name.

I have encountered several problems.

Our company uses FME 2021.1.2 -> there the now obsolete spatialite writer does not allow me to create uppercase / camelcase attribute names, so even when manually creating attributes in the writer, it does not allow me to and then I lose them in the translation. Dynamic writing also converts them to lowercase and I get plenty of error messages saying that my schema does not match.

Now my second problem: I am trying FME 2022, just released. When trying the new Spatialite writer, now I get correct attribute names, so that appears to be fixed, however I cannot figure out, how to force geometry to be also written. Each and every time I have tried something, I get only attributes and nothing written in the geometry column, when writing dynamically or even when using automatic attribute creation. When creating "new" spatialite file, it works and geometry is created, however when I try to write into one of these files, it simply does not get created and I am getting really desperate.

Any help would be really welcome.

Thanks,

Radek

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Radek Žďánský​, sorry to hear you're having a hard time writing geometry! Out of curiousity, are you setting a spatial column name on your writer? I think this is required for writing geometry to this format.

SpatialColumn 

If you are setting the geoemetry column name on the writer and still not seeing any geoemtry written, would you mind submitting a support case with us please? This way we can take a closer look. Best, Kailin.

Hello @Radek Žďánský​, sorry to hear you're having a hard time writing geometry! Out of curiousity, are you setting a spatial column name on your writer? I think this is required for writing geometry to this format.

SpatialColumn 

If you are setting the geoemetry column name on the writer and still not seeing any geoemtry written, would you mind submitting a support case with us please? This way we can take a closer look. Best, Kailin.

Thanks for the reply, I have submitted a case. When creating dynamic schema, I simply I want to use everything from the source spatialite database, as it is the same as output database. I have everything setup correctly I believe

imageimage

Hi,

I have the same problem (using FME 2022.2.1). Inserting data in SpatiaLite Writer does work for attributes but not for geometry. Is there any solution already?

Thanks,

Annina

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

Hi,

I have the same problem (using FME 2022.2.1). Inserting data in SpatiaLite Writer does work for attributes but not for geometry. Is there any solution already?

Thanks,

Annina

Hi @annina​ thanks to @Radek Žďánský​ filing a case we were able to reproduce this issue and file a bug FMEENGINE-73467. This has been fixed in 2022.1, 2022.2.0, and 2023.0. Try upgrading to a newer version of FME.

If you find that this issue still persists, please file a case or provide more supporting details (workspace, data, screenshots, etc). Sorry for the inconvenience.