Question

How do you configure FME to allow the results of running a workspace run to be emailed to the supplied email address?

I have a demo version of FME server installed, and have configured our email server in the System Email section. I have confirmed this is working by using the option to reset my user password, in which case FME Server sends me an email with a link to reset it, so looks like it is working ok. However whenever I run a workspace and enter my email address to receive the results, I never receive an email, regardless of whether the job fails or succeeds.

Under System Events you can enable send email notifications on certain events, but in this case you have to specify the email to send to, which would be an admin email. When running a workspace, users will want to specify their own email, which they can do, but does not seems to work.

Has anyone come across this before?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

Not sure if this is the official way to go, but my self service workspaces on server have an Emailer transformer in the end to send the result to the email of the person who submitted the job. If you use FeatureWriters instead of classic writers, you have an outputport which you can use to initiate transformers downstream of the writer.

Thanks for that, could be a workaround, but would be nice if I can get it to work without having to alter any workspaces to include an emailer. Also much easier for any end users just to be able to specify their email address when they run the workspace.

Never seen any pre 2021 versions of FME Server so not sure if this is something new.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

There's a few standard notifications for that. Check under Automations -> Notifications -> Subscriptions for the Datadownload_Email_Jobsucces and Datadownload_Email_Jobfailure. There is a field there to supply a to email address, but that's overridden by what the user enters when they run the workspace.

Awesome, thankyou, that's fixed my problem. I had looked in the notifications area, but was looking at the topics/topic monitoring tabs, missed the subscription tab for some reason. Seems strange you have to go and setup each subscription type with the mail server details, instead of one central area, but at least it's working now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Awesome, thankyou, that's fixed my problem. I had looked in the notifications area, but was looking at the topics/topic monitoring tabs, missed the subscription tab for some reason. Seems strange you have to go and setup each subscription type with the mail server details, instead of one central area, but at least it's working now.

I do have an idea out there to allow web connections for SMTP, please vote 😉