Question

What's Up Wednesday (11-May-2022): The World Tour Accelerates, A New Plug-In, Digital Twins, and more

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Well, it's time for all the latest FME news for the week.

The FME World Tour

There are many World Tour events still to come, as well as completed.

The 1Spatial UK Tour visited London and tomorrow (perhaps today by the time you read this) is in Cardiff. They have upcoming events in Leeds and Glasgow too. Everyone was happy to be back in person again and to be presenting in front of others.

WUW-2022-05-11-1 

Also coming up, there are World Tour events in Brazil with Solutial (São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro), Austria with Axmann (Vienna), and Japan with Pacific Spatial (Tokyo). You know where the full list is. Don't you?!

Of course, as some events are completed, their presentations appear online.

Here we have some user presentations from con terra España. I don't speak Spanish but I do see mention of CityGML, Cesium, and FME Server Automations.

I don't speak Dutch either, but even I can tell what "snel, sneller, snelst" means on Red Geographics world tour page. I think you can still register and access the recordings, but only for a limited time. So go do that, and enjoy their fantastic promotional videos too.

Genegis in Italy also held a World Tour event, with a couple of well-known guests:

WUW-2022-05-11-2 

I don't know if you can access the recordings, but I found many FME tutorials on their website. So if your primary language is Italian - or you know someone else - then click that link.

And just to mention, the IMGS event scheduled for May 17th has been postponed until September.

FME 2022

There are lots of new features in 2022 that you already know about, but I thought I'd highlight a few smaller changes. Here's one tiny, but useful, change.

WUW-2022-05-11-3 

The HTMLReportGenerator has an option to create an Esri Leaflet map of incoming data. The option to add a label to each feature now has the option to allow HTML in the label definition. So I can create a label like this:

WUW-2022-05-11-4 

...and now my map features have an HTML-based label.

WUW-2022-05-11-5 

I'll have another little update to highlight next week.

Digital Twins

A Digital Twin is a virtual representation of an existing system or object, and can be connected to sensors and used to simulate various scenarios. The concept isn't exactly new, but there's been a lot of recent conversation about such a setup.

I suspect recent talk is because technological improvements make it easier to create a digital twin, and one component of that process might be FME.

To get to the point, you might be interested in this podcast featuring Safe Software president, Don Murray. Its title is "Digital Twins and Their Role Within the Data Space" and it comes with a bonus Scottish accent from the host!

S-101 Writer Plug-In for FME

News from SevenCs is that they have created an IHO S-101 format writer for FME, available as a plugin.

As I understand it, S-101 is a hydrographic chart format, aka ENC or Electronic Navigation Chart.

WUW-2022-05-11-6 

I think it's a successor to S-57, especially since the new writer "includes S-57 to S-101 conversion".

FME for Repetitive Tasks

Here's a quick demo of a simple join using FME, from Franck Coeffard.

gtf2 

Interestingly, it uses a tool called GTF from Safe partner, Veremes. GTF is "a web application that allows you to centralize, share and document FME workspaces." Click the link above to find out more information.

Community News

If you look at the footer of our Community landing page, you'll see a new link to "Values":

WUW-2022-05-11-7 

That links to our Statement of Values for the FME Community, a very important document that outlines the purpose of our community and the values that we try to adhere to. They are Respect, Teamwork, Enjoyment, Progress, and Achievement; and you can click the link above to find out what they mean.

Also, you may have received a new pop-up message about cookies on the site. We're just bringing the community up to date with what we have on the main Safe website. But the work is ongoing so you may see that pop-up again in the near future.

Congratulations to Theo Drogo for his certification on FME Server. Also to Chris Harris, who is now certified in both FME Professional and FME Server Professional.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!