Question

Prevent FME Server from zipping temp folders

• 9 May 2022
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Is it possible to prevent FME Server from zipping the temp folders ? My server is zipping the whole temp folder instead of only the output of my FeatureWriter, making it impossible later on for HTTPCallers to access the file I need it to upload.

fme3This behaviour is problematic because I access files inside these .zip in later steps of the workspace and it raises errors because it is in a .zip file.

1 reply

Badge +6

Hi @osacode​ 

The FeatureWriter typically will not zip written datasets by default, but it is a configuration option from the Dataset parameter's drop down menu. I'd first make sure that the Zip Output option is unselected and that the specific format doesn't specify a *.zip extension as output.

I'm curious what service is this job using at runtime? I noticed that the pictured items are named with similar formatting that the Data Download service uses for temporary datasets (these would be saved to Resources > System >  temp > engineresults). If that is the case, the Data Download service does indeed zip output by default. Where possible, I wouldn't recommend using the Data Download service output for downstream operations. Instead, I may opt to save the FeatureWriter's datasets to the TEMP folder (Resources > Temp). The macro for this folder that you might use in the FeatureWriter is $(FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_TEMP).

In cases where zipped datasets are an inevitable output, the Directory and File Pathnames Reader and be configured to read the contained filenames within an archive.

Hope that helps!