Question

reading shape files goes wrong in FME ?

Badge +1

I have some shape files that might be corrupted i think... However reading/viewing them in ArcGIS Pro is working without any issue whereas in FME it reads them all but it mixes attributes of the features! e.g. Point 1 (shape file feature) becomes attributes from lets say point 10 (another shape file feature) an so on! All attributes are mixed! is this issue known? I am using FME 2022.0 p.s. I am just reading shape files without doing any transformation.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @gisgis​ 

It can be some shapefiles hasn't auxiliar files in the directory ( like shx, prj...).

Please, could you share us the log file?

Thanks in Advance,

Danilo

Badge +1

Hi @gisgis​ 

It can be some shapefiles hasn't auxiliar files in the directory ( like shx, prj...).

Please, could you share us the log file?

Thanks in Advance,

Danilo

Hi @danilo_fme

it seems auxiliar files are all there and the only warning I get in the log file is:

"Shapefile Reader: Shape file has more records than .dbf"

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @gisgis​ It sounds like some sort of data corruption. If you want to compare the *.shp with the *.dbf you can read a Shape file without the *.dbf and of course you can read the *.dbf with the dBase reader. Please send us your shapefile via https://community.safe.com/s/submit-case if you'd like us to take a closer look.

Badge +1

Hi @gisgis​ It sounds like some sort of data corruption. If you want to compare the *.shp with the *.dbf you can read a Shape file without the *.dbf and of course you can read the *.dbf with the dBase reader. Please send us your shapefile via https://community.safe.com/s/submit-case if you'd like us to take a closer look.

Yes I just uploaded my data...

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @danilo_fme

it seems auxiliar files are all there and the only warning I get in the log file is:

"Shapefile Reader: Shape file has more records than .dbf"

Thanks your answer @gisgis​