Solved

Creating a new record from an old record

Badge +2

I am reading a record from a SDE geodatabase and using that record to create a new record. What is happening though is that it is just overwriting the old record. I need to have two records at the end. I select it based on an id and essentially need to make a copy of the record and then overwrite some of the values. Any idea of how I can do that?

icon

Best answer by koenterralytics 9 May 2022, 08:09

View original

6 replies

Badge +8

@chris28​ , my first guess would be that your output contains an OBJECTID or GlobalID and your writer is set to Update (instead of Insert). To be sure, you are trying to add a new record to the same table?

Badge +2

@chris28​ , my first guess would be that your output contains an OBJECTID or GlobalID and your writer is set to Update (instead of Insert). To be sure, you are trying to add a new record to the same table?

My writer is set to insert. I select a record based on an id number in the table. I then update the attributes based on user parameters. However, it is updating the original record. I want to keep the original record and create a new record based on values in it. So essentially I want to copy the entire record and overwrite some of the attributes and give it a new id number. Does this make sense? I can use a tester to select the record. I just can't seem to find a transformer that would make a copy of it after it is selected.

Badge +8

My writer is set to insert. I select a record based on an id number in the table. I then update the attributes based on user parameters. However, it is updating the original record. I want to keep the original record and create a new record based on values in it. So essentially I want to copy the entire record and overwrite some of the attributes and give it a new id number. Does this make sense? I can use a tester to select the record. I just can't seem to find a transformer that would make a copy of it after it is selected.

Why do you want to make a copy if the data is already available in the dataset?

I think you can just insert the new records, but first make sure that the field ObjectID and/or Globalid are removed before it enters the writer.

But if you are really looking for a copy within the workspace itself, consider using the Cloner. Or just split the workflow in two separate lines. But I think I'm still missing the whole picture.

Badge +2

The first record is for an invoice. The invoice is being cancelled so I need to keep the original record and update cancelled to 'YES" and then create a new record with a new invoice number based on the old record. A bunch of the fields with values will be set to negative based on the original invoice. (No idea how to sent a PM on here or I would. Total Newbie)

Badge +8

Hi Chris,

I think the screenshot from my previous message should work. To make it more clear I added some more context:

imageHopefully this helps! If not, feel free to email the workspace to koen@terralytics.nl

Badge +2

Thanks! It worked to remove the objectID.