Question

While reading data from Smallworld, FME translation is terminated abruptly by throwing error "Error running translation." in the translation log. Data not coming out of reader. How can we handle this?

• 28 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

While reading data from Smallworld, FME translation is terminated abruptly by throwing error "Error running translation." in the translation log. Generally if there is any issue with source, data then FME writes an error, skips the record and move forward. But here in this case after the error translation is stopped with error message. If the data come out of reader, we would be able to handle it by some logic. However, in this case data is not coming out of reader. Are there any settings in FME such that we ignore such records and move forward? I have already tried setting Continue translation in Rejected Features handling. It dis not work.

Any ideas on this are highly appreciated. Kindly help ..

Thank you

Siva Bulusu

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @sivaram81082​ You've already changed the Rejected Features Handling which is usually our first suggestion for a situation like this.

However, in your case it looks like an error may be causing the translation to stop which is different than the workspace encountering a rejected feature.

To investigate this we need to figure out at what part of the workspace the error is occurring. When you run your workspace can you see what part of the workspace fails? Is it the Smallworld reader? We have an article that outlines some troubleshooting for the Smallworld format here: https://community.safe.com/s/article/smallworld-connection-and-translation-errors

Additionally, it would be helpful if you had a screenshot of the error or a copy of the log file you could share with us.

Thanks!

Badge +1

Hi @sivaram81082​ You've already changed the Rejected Features Handling which is usually our first suggestion for a situation like this.

However, in your case it looks like an error may be causing the translation to stop which is different than the workspace encountering a rejected feature.

To investigate this we need to figure out at what part of the workspace the error is occurring. When you run your workspace can you see what part of the workspace fails? Is it the Smallworld reader? We have an article that outlines some troubleshooting for the Smallworld format here: https://community.safe.com/s/article/smallworld-connection-and-translation-errors

Additionally, it would be helpful if you had a screenshot of the error or a copy of the log file you could share with us.

Thanks!

Hi @danminneyatsaf​ , Thanks for your response.

The workspace is failing at reader level. I am able to identify the issue.

Source data at Smallworld has a date column where date is format 'mm/dd/yyyy'.

And reader is terminating when a record with year is '0000' For example 12/21/0000

If we remove that invalid date at source then FME is processing the record.

However this looks strange to me as i observe, FME logging faulty recs and proceeding generally.

That did not happen in this case. FME terminating abruptly with no much useful info in log file even after turning on Debug log.

Would be great if this sort of issues are handled in next versions of FME.

I appreciate your quick response and support.

If there is any idea on how to handle this kind of case until the next releases, it would be really great.

Thanks

Siva Bulusu

Badge +2

Hi @danminneyatsaf​ , Thanks for your response.

The workspace is failing at reader level. I am able to identify the issue.

Source data at Smallworld has a date column where date is format 'mm/dd/yyyy'.

And reader is terminating when a record with year is '0000' For example 12/21/0000

If we remove that invalid date at source then FME is processing the record.

However this looks strange to me as i observe, FME logging faulty recs and proceeding generally.

That did not happen in this case. FME terminating abruptly with no much useful info in log file even after turning on Debug log.

Would be great if this sort of issues are handled in next versions of FME.

I appreciate your quick response and support.

If there is any idea on how to handle this kind of case until the next releases, it would be really great.

Thanks

Siva Bulusu

@sivaram81082​ Thanks for letting the community know where the problem arose. You might file a change request with GE Smallworld to have that patched since they develop and support the Smallworld FME translator.