Question

Can I split AND zip using the Shapefile Writer?

• 22 April 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have a very large dataset that I usually split into 3+ pieces when I export to shapefile, then zip them up together. I'd like to use the shapefile writer to do both without setting feature thresholds (hi, FeatureCounter!) and using an external compression utility.

However, when I leave the Split Dataset... checked and check the Create Compressed Shapefile option, all that's in the SHZ is the last portion of the split data set (FILENAME_3.shp, etc.).

Can I use both? If so, what trick am I missing?

Shapefile haterz to the back - it's sadly what The People want.

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hi @ret3​,

How do you want your output to be structured?

From your description, it sounds like you expect one zip file containing the split shapefile datasets (eg. FILE.zip containing FILE.shp, FILE_1.shp, etc.). If this is what you want as output, then you should disable Create Compressed Shapefile and add the name of the container zip file to as the value for the Destination Esri Shapefile Folder parameter.

When both Create Compressed Shapefile and Split Dataset are enabled, the expected output would be one .shz created for each split dataset (FILE.shz, FILE_1.shz, etc). Each .shz file containing only one shapefile dataset that matches the .shz name.

Note there is a bug when both Create Compressed Shapefile and Split Dataset are enabled. Only the last split dataset is created and the .shz file does not match the shapefile datatset it contains. I will be filing a ticket with our development team to fix this.

Edit: The incorrect behaviour when both Create Compressed Shapefile and Split Dataset are enabled has been fixed in 2022.1.