Question

Combining several different point clouds and Adjusting point cloud angel

• 21 April 2022
  • 1 reply

So for my research, I am required to combine point clouds and have them side by side with one another to have the entire field we took data from present. Currently, whenever I combine the files they are all on top of one another is there a way to have them side by side?

Also in my data, some of the point clouds are at an angle that is not correct since the lidar sensor and drone used took the data in a funky way. Is there a way to adjust the angle so it can be similar to the level with the other point clouds?

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

If the point clouds are all on top of each other while you know they should be adjoining then the georeference might be off. You can check that by opening them separately in the FME Data Inspector and switching on a background map. If they don't appear where you expect them to they're probably not properly georeferenced

As for your second question, do you mean that due to the position of the sensor some objects are hidden behind others? That unfortunately can't be helped (if there's no data then there's no data) but if you have mulitple point clouds taken from different positions then you may be able to fill in the blind spots, assuming you can combine them properly.