Question

Group Processing List Exploder

I have over 10 list attributes that I need to explode. Setting-up 10 ListExploder in a row seems tedious. Is there another way ?

4 replies

Userlevel 4

If the lists are large-ish and you're only going to use a subset of the exploded features anyways, it's probably going to be (a lot) faster to do it using a PythonCaller, if you feel comfortable doing it that way.

If the lists are large-ish and you're only going to use a subset of the exploded features anyways, it's probably going to be (a lot) faster to do it using a PythonCaller, if you feel comfortable doing it that way.

The lists are not large, in most cases they contain only 1 element.

Userlevel 4

The lists are not large, in most cases they contain only 1 element.

I'm not aware of any other solutions than using ListExploders if you don't want to mess with Python (or R or TCL, if that's your thing).

Badge +2

@osacode​ It depends on what you want on the output. ListExploder gives you a separate feature for each element. So if the lists don't have the same number of elements then you'll get different numbers of output features for each list.

If the lists have the same number of elements, can you rename your list (ListRenamer or ListDemoter) to be a complex list (mylist{}.name)? Then you can explode mylist{}.

If the lists don't have the same number of elements, then perhaps ListBreaker

A simple example of python for manipulating lists is at the end of this tutorial.

If you can include a small example then one of us can try and help a bit more