Question

Hello, I have some buildings in the .obj file. I want to add the location to the obj file of the Singapore location. How can i add particular location to that obj file

• 29 March 2022
  • 1 reply

I have some obj files of building and I want to add different locations to each obj file .please help me to get the way to do it.

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @ladisrikanta123​,

According to the geometry support in the OBJ writer, it looks like OBJ doesn't natively support coordinate systems or user attributes. The format itself outside of FME seems to be meant to carry simple 3D geometry only. What application produces your OBJ files and where will the OBJ files need to be used?

Some workarounds I've seen in the community are to:

• create a separate file like a CSV to store the correct location information. This can be read back into FME together using a CSV reader and an OBJ reader, and the coordinates can be used to apply to the models before writing out into a target format (like in this Q&A)
  • check from the program that creates your OBJ files whether any other sidecar files are produced (ex. XYZ or text file)
  • use another format that does support coordinate systems (example: KML, Cesium, CAD)