Question

Clip or Snip aggregate routes by measures

• 24 March 2022
  • 4 replies

I have been trying to clip/snip a set of multipart linear features with measures based on from and to measure attributes. I've tried running the linear features through the Snipper transformer but all that seems to do is deaggregate the lines.

Is there a way that I can replicate this functionality in FME?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Try running the line features through the line combiner first. This will change them from multipart features (multiple lines) to a single continuous line. You may need to recalculate the measures after this

Try running the line features through the line combiner first. This will change them from multipart features (multiple lines) to a single continuous line. You may need to recalculate the measures after this

I'm not sure that would work in this case. My multipart line has gaps in it. Is there any way that I can clip out a ~1 mile section of a route like this?

Screenshot 2022-03-24 145730

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

I'm not sure that would work in this case. My multipart line has gaps in it. Is there any way that I can clip out a ~1 mile section of a route like this?

you could de aggregate all those lines, then building a looping custom transformer that builds the lines up one by one, when the total length exceed your set distance, you take the last added line, clip it to the right length (to give your total distance) Then you start the process again using the remained of the clipped line

This reply gave me the idea of trying to use the Deaggregator transformer before feeding the features into the Snipper. I need to QC the data but I am now getting the expected number of results.

I'm not sure why the Snipper alone wouldn't supply the same output though.