Question

Details on "Attribute Name" parameter type configuration?

• 24 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I've been trying to find explanations for the properties saved under "Attribute Name Configuration" for an "Attribute Name" parameter type and haven't been able to locate anything! This is specifically regarding how "Format Attributes," "User Attributes," and (especially) "Filter Attributes By Port" are handled, given that they have not worked the way I expected based on name alone.

Is there additional documentation on these parameter settings anywhere, or should I try to communicate with technical support directly for info?

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @jonahdpmiller​ , are you refering to this user parameter (Attribute Names parameter type)? See image below:

ParameterManagerWindowPlease let me know if you're talking about this or something different!

I don't think we have a ton of resources for this yet, but the best way to find more information is going through HELP (bottom left button on the user parameter manager window). Within that help link, if we expand the 'Types of User Parameters' section, we can see a general description of each parameter type (not the most helpful).

I understand how the 'Attribute Name Configuration' could be a little tricky without a proper guide. I will file a ticket to have some detail added to our documentation. For the time being, I hope this explanation will benefit you. Added a photo for context.

imageIn both Full and None, you will see both lists and normal attributes. For None, when a list is selected, it will prompt you for an list element. That is, the destination doesn't support lists natively. For Full, list selection is allowed and you are not prompted for an element. The destination location supports lists natively. Exclusive was supposed to mean lists are shown only but that option only works if the destination location also has that type set (eg. Exclusive should only show lists, but this is a bug!).

I will likely file this tomorrow! Let me know if you have any further questions about the user parameter.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @jonahdpmiller​ , are you refering to this user parameter (Attribute Names parameter type)? See image below:

ParameterManagerWindowPlease let me know if you're talking about this or something different!

I don't think we have a ton of resources for this yet, but the best way to find more information is going through HELP (bottom left button on the user parameter manager window). Within that help link, if we expand the 'Types of User Parameters' section, we can see a general description of each parameter type (not the most helpful).

I understand how the 'Attribute Name Configuration' could be a little tricky without a proper guide. I will file a ticket to have some detail added to our documentation. For the time being, I hope this explanation will benefit you. Added a photo for context.

imageIn both Full and None, you will see both lists and normal attributes. For None, when a list is selected, it will prompt you for an list element. That is, the destination doesn't support lists natively. For Full, list selection is allowed and you are not prompted for an element. The destination location supports lists natively. Exclusive was supposed to mean lists are shown only but that option only works if the destination location also has that type set (eg. Exclusive should only show lists, but this is a bug!).

I will likely file this tomorrow! Let me know if you have any further questions about the user parameter.

Hey again @jonahdpmiller​ , these issues have been filed accordingly. FMEENGINE-72779 is for the Exclusive List Support issue, and I made another for the documentation to be updated, as TECHPUBS-7599. Will update the thread when either of these are resolved. Best, Kailin.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hey again @jonahdpmiller​ , these issues have been filed accordingly. FMEENGINE-72779 is for the Exclusive List Support issue, and I made another for the documentation to be updated, as TECHPUBS-7599. Will update the thread when either of these are resolved. Best, Kailin.

Hello @jonahdpmiller​, just informing you that we've added more information about how to configure the Attribute Name user parameter. Please see Creating and Modifying User Parameters > Parameter Properties (Right Pane) > Parameter Type Configuration > If Type is Attribute Name. Let me know if you have any issues finding the information! Best, Kailin