Question

Hi, I have encountered a strange FME Engine error. Any suggestions?

• 22 March 2022
  • 2 replies

The error occurs once in a while in a Workspace that is reading a PostGIS/PostgreSQL 12.9 database and writing a GEODATABASE_FILE using 64-bit ArcObjects from underlying an ArcGIS Desktop 10.8 installation. The error is triggered in a DatabaseJoiner, when attributes are joined in from a PostgreSQL table and written to the File Geodatabase simultaneously. The error happens once in a while (every second run or so), but it does strangely not occur on a PC with 64-bit ArcObjects from underlying an ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 installation or in any other variants of the workspace writing to other formats. The error occurs both on Desktop and Server. FME version is 2020.2.3. The error message does not say anything about the GEODATABASE_FILE writer, only the PostGIS reader, but the writer is obviously a part of the problem. If I disable the writer, nothing happens. If I bypass the DatabaseJoiner nothing happens. The message POSTGIS reader: stk::ex::bad_expected_access is discussed elsewhere on this forum, but that is in another context and is not helpful for me. Anyone that has ever seen this error message before? Any suggestions or workarounds?

FME Engine encountered an issue and will need to be restarted. [0] POSTGIS reader: stk::ex::bad_expected_access [1] auto __cdecl STFReader::getFeature::<lambda_e8ad0c4de285582507d80bbbf97fb805>::operator ()(void) const(C:\\code\\fme\\foundation\\framework\\engine\\reader.cpp:61) [2] auto __cdecl STFDynamicFactory::process::<lambda_494dc5639fa0f568d3f6007e80e25e06>::operator ()(void) const(C:\\code\\fme\\foundation\\pluginbuilder\\pluginbuilder_cpp\\dynafact.cpp:464)

2 replies

Switching to the FILEGODB (Open API) File Geodatabase Writer became a workaround. So the problem was actually somehow related to ArcObjects 10.8, despite that the error message said POSTGIS reader: stk::ex::bad_expected_access. Strange behaviour from FME.

Unfortunalely the FILEGODB (Open API) File Geodatabase Writer does not have all the functionality that we need, so the exported file will miss features like aliases, relationship classes etc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I've asked our FME experts at Safe to take a look at this. For a crash like this, I think we'd want to ensure it is fixed.