Solved

Linux FME Engine Windows FIleshare

• 18 March 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

We do have FME Server setup on Ubuntu OS, and some of our big data stores are in windows file shares AWS FsX. Our users would like to access windows fileshare from FME workspaces in the FME server. Any ideas on how we can achieve this?

icon

Best answer by richardatsafe 18 March 2022, 17:25

View original

8 replies

Badge +10

Hi @namanpatel​ ,

It looks like there are a number of resources online showing how to access a file share on amazon FSx for windows file server from a linux environment. FME should treat the file share the same as any other application on the machine so steps like this will work the same. The only thing to be aware of is that FME Server components run under the fmeserver user, so when mounting you should be using the GID and UID of that user, as shown in the documentation. Once you have the mount in place you can also add this mount as a network resource on your machine specifying the locally mounted directory.

Badge

This is very helpful, let me try to set this up. I will try to post my results back here.

Badge

I am able to mount the FsX volume on the docker for the engine using cifs protocol. Do I have to also do the same mount on the Core Server Component? We have engine and core all implemented on docker on different machines.

Badge +10

I am able to mount the FsX volume on the docker for the engine using cifs protocol. Do I have to also do the same mount on the Core Server Component? We have engine and core all implemented on docker on different machines.

HI @namanpatel​ ,

If your users are happy to use the mount path in their workspaces then you don't have to mount to the core, but if you want to add this mount as a network resource so it can be browsed through the FME Server Web UI then you will need to mount it to the FME Server Core/Web machine as well. 

Badge

Got it, thank you.

Badge

HI @namanpatel​ ,

If your users are happy to use the mount path in their workspaces then you don't have to mount to the core, but if you want to add this mount as a network resource so it can be browsed through the FME Server Web UI then you will need to mount it to the FME Server Core/Web machine as well. 

It seems the user wants to see the folder structure, we have deployed the environment using docker, so it seems we have to create our own image out of the core image just to create an extra folder for the mount-point. Do you have any workaround for this?

Badge +10

HI @namanpatel​ ,

If you looking at a docker install then you'll have to make the mount in docker by updating the yaml file. Have a look at this post for suggested methods. https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D74Q000008tiChSAI/detail?s1oid=00D30000000ePES&s1nid=0DB0c000000Gmzx&emkind=chatterCommentNotification&s1uid=005a000000C1bTg&emtm=1648475733153&fromEmail=1&s1ext=0

Badge

HI @namanpatel​ ,

Yes, that is correct but to update docker-compose YAML and add mount target in docker-compose yaml we must have the target folder available in the container itself. So I have to first create a folder in dockerfile, build docker container, push it to the registry, and then only it is possible to mount the volume on YAML file. So every time user needs a new mount or every new version of FME I will have to build a new image of the docker container and maintain my own image, which means downtimes and I would like to avoid it, it is not a good deployment pattern to have in production.

Hope you are getting my point.