Question

Extract exterior box of IFC 3D model

I would like to extract exterior box of my ifc file and remove all interior element and i didn't find the right transformers to do this.

4 replies

Badge +9

Hi,

It really depends on if your IFC contains an existing bounding box shape you want to extract or if you want to make a new bounding box. If you want to make a new bounding box you can use the BoundingBoxReplacer and set the "Replace with" setting to 3D Bounding Cube.

Thank you for your reply. Indeed, I tested this transformer but it creates a whole cube which is not correct

Badge +9

Thank you for your reply. Indeed, I tested this transformer but it creates a whole cube which is not correct

That is correct, it is a bounding box. I see you are converting your geometry into a pointcloud, is there a reason to do that? (or did the bounding box replacer not work on your geometry type?)

Apparently there is a new transformer in FME 2022(or downloadable on the FME hub for older FME versions) named SolidDissolver which might be able to combine all your geometry into 1 feature but I suspect that this transformer might be very particular with the geometry types it accepts.

Another option is to create a collection with an aggregator but features that are inside another feature will continue to exist making it kind of messy, but it is easy to generate

Your question is a difficult one because I think FME is still struggling with 3D Geometry Boolean operations but maybe somebody else has another idea.

That is correct, it is a bounding box. I see you are converting your geometry into a pointcloud, is there a reason to do that? (or did the bounding box replacer not work on your geometry type?)

Apparently there is a new transformer in FME 2022(or downloadable on the FME hub for older FME versions) named SolidDissolver which might be able to combine all your geometry into 1 feature but I suspect that this transformer might be very particular with the geometry types it accepts.

Another option is to create a collection with an aggregator but features that are inside another feature will continue to exist making it kind of messy, but it is easy to generate

Your question is a difficult one because I think FME is still struggling with 3D Geometry Boolean operations but maybe somebody else has another idea.

Thank you for your answer, however for the old screenshot I followed an answer from someone who advised to go through the point clouds but it did not work. Testing the new transformer here is the error message that tells me.