Solved

FME Desktop 2022: How to use the same “reader” multiple times in the workbench without repeating adding it?

Badge +5

FME Desktop 2022: How to use the same “reader” multiple times in the workbench without repeating adding it?

In the screenshot below, I got an excel file as a reader. I need to use it multiple times in the workbench. How can I do that without repeating adding it each time?

Clip_243 

Clip_244 

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 11 March 2022, 21:05

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

You can drag multiple connections from one feature type to the places you need them.

Badge +5

Appears not to work with me.

In the screenshot below, SAME excel files is required to be joined to the two dwg files. To do this, I added the excel file twice. This should be a headache in case I need to add it 3 or 4 times.

Then which technique enable me to add it as many times as required and to have it referenced to the same added excel file?

What to drag in this case?

The data is attached

Clip_245 

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

In the screenshot below, SAME excel files is required to be joined to the two dwg files. To do this, I added the excel file twice. This should be a headache in case I need to add it 3 or 4 times.

Then which technique enable me to add it as many times as required and to have it referenced to the same added excel file?

The data is attached

Clip_245 

The connection between the Description [XLSXR] -2 reader and the FeatureJoiner_2 can be moved to the Description [XLSXR] -1 reader. You will have 2 connections coming from Description [XLSXR] -1. 1 to the FeatureJoiner, and the other to FeatureJoiner_2.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

The data is attached

Clip_245 

Remove the bottom Excel reader from the Navigator, that'll also remove the feature type on the right. So from the feature type you have left, drag a second connection to the FeatureJoiner_2 Right port.

There's no need to add multiple readers to the same file, you can make multiple connections from (and to) a port.

Badge +5

I’m aware that I can get multiple connections from same added excel file.

However, in a complicated workbench (screenshot below), I need all time to have the excel file close to the transformer I need to connect in order to avoid having crossing lines all over the workbench which makes is really perplexing

Clip_250 

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I’m aware that I can get multiple connections from same added excel file.

However, in a complicated workbench (screenshot below), I need all time to have the excel file close to the transformer I need to connect in order to avoid having crossing lines all over the workbench which makes is really perplexing

Clip_250 

Right-click the connection, pick "hide" or "create tunnel". And yeah, complex workspaces can be a hassle to maintain. We recommend trying to keep your layout as clean as possible.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Right-click the connection, pick "hide" or "create tunnel". And yeah, complex workspaces can be a hassle to maintain. We recommend trying to keep your layout as clean as possible.

I prefer tunnels because it's great to have a Junction at one end to add an annotation to.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

As others have said, a hidden connection or tunnel is probably the solution. Here's a screenshot of a workspace I recently created:

imageYou can see that I use the same raster creator multiple times. I just connect it with a normal connection, then right-click and choose to create a tunnel.

Badge +5

Thank you for the useful input. The tuned works fine with me

Clip_251 

Clip_252 

Clip_253 

Userlevel 3
Badge +33

In complex workspaces I often place bookmarks around the Junctions.

It may also help to apply colour to the tunneled connections.

But the best solution is always to make your layout as clean as possible, as others already pointed out.

Tunneling