Solved

Why am I missing one record from the output of a Dynamic Shapefile Writer?

• 10 March 2022
  • 4 replies

I have the need to utilise a dynamic writer for coordinate conversion of a user uploaded file.

The schema will be unknown therefore the need to be dynamic.

I am using FME (20201027 - Build 20787)

I have used a writer transformer and have set the schema to Dynamic and the schema is set as "Schema From Schema Feature".

I am wondering if this has an impact on the first feature being used to dimension the dataset and is not written to the table. However this would be unusual because I have used these writer transformers before with more success.

The noted difference I can surmise would be that the schema and features have been split up after the reader and I have used the schema to determine the coordinate system of the incoming dataset features to check that it conforms to the eventual conversion, then the features and schema are brought back together using a Joiner transformer.

This works for other formats (CSV and TAB) with which I have used the same logical design.

The cached records seem to read as fine all the way to the writer.

What I have found is that if I add a connector into the writer (from the same output of the previous transformer which the dynamic schema also uses, and accept the defaults (output filename etc) the extra record appears in the non-dynamic output.

So I have a feeling it has something to do with the dynamic nature of the writer, and some setting that I am missing?

Kind Regards,

Cameron

icon

Best answer by ebygomm 10 March 2022, 09:47

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Could it be a similar issue to that described here?

https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q000080hfCqSAI/missing-data-when-writing-to-fgdb-with-dynamic-schema

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Exactly that, the first feature will be being treated as a schema attribute and subsequently not used to populate the table.

As mentioned in that link, remove the attribute 'fme_schema_handling' you may need to expose it first before seeing it in the attribute remover

Exactly that, the first feature will be being treated as a schema attribute and subsequently not used to populate the table.

As mentioned in that link, remove the attribute 'fme_schema_handling' you may need to expose it first before seeing it in the attribute remover

@hkingsbury​ That worked a treat, thank you very much. Although I have designed and problem solved workspaces for many years, I have not extensively used Reader and writer transformers until recently. They are a bit of a black box with the documentation (probably because of their flexibility with file types).

You answers were spot on and faster than I expected, so it helped instantly. I'm glad I finally reached out to the community.

@ebygomm​ brilliant. Thank you.