Solved

Is it possible to look for layer names in a DWG based on a wildcard search?

• 10 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Hey folks, I am brand new to FME script writing. I have for example, a DWG with sewer, water and electrical lines. The layer names are usually all the same except with unique numbers.

eg. HET-32434-WAT

or HET-23422-WAT-SER

or HET-232345-ELEC

etc

I am trying to output each of the categories into their own shape files so I can simply point my script to a dwg and run it. I have no problem doing this manually by adding the DWG into my workspace where it asks me what layers to load into the workspace and I can point those to an attribute creator and output a shapefile. That works fine, I am just trying to figure out how I can have it look in a DWG drawing I specify for the layer names like %WAT% to output all my waterlines into a shapefile.

Hopefully I made sense here.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 11 March 2022, 11:11

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Yes, you can use the Merge Feature Types option with wildcards or regular expressions:

Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 14.15.06

Hey thanks, I've been looking documentation / articles on how to work with the merged file. I have a basic understanding that it creates a fme_feature_type that I should be able to use to look for specific layers in the dwgand outputting them to their relevent lines or points shapefile. Im certain this is probably a common task I just cant seem to find the articles.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hey thanks, I've been looking documentation / articles on how to work with the merged file. I have a basic understanding that it creates a fme_feature_type that I should be able to use to look for specific layers in the dwgand outputting them to their relevent lines or points shapefile. Im certain this is probably a common task I just cant seem to find the articles.

Thanks again.

Yes, the fme_feature_type attribute will contain the original feature type name (layer name in case of most CAD formats), in addition to that in many cases there will be a format-specific attribute as well. For DWG that'll be acad_layer_name. They may not be visible but you should be able to find them in for example the attributes list of a Tester or TestFilter (and if not you can always use an AttributeExposer to make them visible).