Question

Contaminant data densification of soil samples within equal depth intervals

Hello,

for a 3D visualization I would like to assign contaminant data from soil samples from varying intervals (e. g. 0,5 m) into a smaller interval of choice, e. g. 0,1 m.

An example of my input/original data and the desired output with a densification interval of 0,1 m is shown here:

Input_Output_Data_Densification_v1In our recent example, we have around 350 samples. By now, this is easy to solve with Excel formulas, but takes some time to process .

As I am quite new to FME but also in terms of a future automation – is there a quick to do this in FME? Or would a Python script be more practicable in this case?

Thanks for any hints and suggestions!

Kind regards

Alex

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +33

Certainly!

One way is to use 'Adjacent Feature Attributes' functionality.

DensifyCreate features for every 0.1 meters between the minimum and maximum depths, add the known data to the features with the corresponding depth, and finally fill in the gaps.

This assumes every depth_from is the same as the previous depth_to.

See the attached example workspace.

Thanks a lot! Will give it a try :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

This is one of the things I love about FME, many ways to solve the same problem (@mark2atsafe​ )

Here's another solution

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

This is one of the things I love about FME, many ways to solve the same problem (@mark2atsafe​ )

Here's another solution

Absolutely. I think a Cloner is how I would set about it. But part of me wants to turn the spreadsheet into three-dimensional spatial features - maybe a DEM grid - and interpolate or densify.

You can't beat solving a non-spatial problem with spatial functionality!