Question

How to create equal polygons within a large tilted polygon?

For a project with an old projection I am trying to create multiple equal sized polygons within a bigger polygon. This is of importance because the historic projection uses intersections of distances to locate objects. So what I am trying to do is creating the polygons of equal distances into a larger polygon.

I currently use the 2D Grid accumulator for this. However, this makes use of an hull around the polygon I've created. Therefore, some of the created polygons are outside of the project area.

So, when looking at the image I would like to have 100 polygons of equal size in both directions tilted with the project area (Red line) and all within the project area.

ExampleLet me know if anything is still unclear.

Thanks in advance!

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

If you know the angle it's rotated by: rotate it back so that it's exactly East-West / North-South oriented, then use a Tiler or 2DGridAccumulator to create the grid and rotate it back to the original orientation (make sure you rotate around the same reference point both times)

And I know I should be able to tell you the formula if you don't know the rotation, but it's been decades since I've last had to use trigonometry and I'm drawing a massive blank 😅

If you know the angle it's rotated by: rotate it back so that it's exactly East-West / North-South oriented, then use a Tiler or 2DGridAccumulator to create the grid and rotate it back to the original orientation (make sure you rotate around the same reference point both times)

And I know I should be able to tell you the formula if you don't know the rotation, but it's been decades since I've last had to use trigonometry and I'm drawing a massive blank 😅

I could try and do that but I don't know the exact angle furthermore the area is not perfectly squared, so there would then still be a problem of the hull that is created.