Question

FME AR display objects below the plane (Android)

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

I am wanting to display underground infrastructure using FME AR, but have been unable to have the app display an object below the horizontal plane.

The model will always end up placed ON the plane, with the feature in the model with the lowest Z coordinate determining the vertical position of the rest of the features. This question was asked 2 years ago, but there was no good answer. Manually offsetting an object in the model downwards causes it to display at ground level, which offsets everything else upwards by the same amount.

I know displaying things below ground is possible (on iOS), thanks to Dmitri Bagh's tutorial and workspace here for creating virtual holes: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/augmented-holes-how-see-under-ground-dmitri-bagh/

(He links the workspace template for download in the youtube comments)

I am using the current Android app, and I suspect that is the issue.

I used Dmitri's workspace manhole example, reproduced the .fmear model, and when viewed in the FME AR app, it places the base of the manhole at ground level, instead of placing the asphalt layer at ground level as it does in Dmitri's video.

I am using FME 2021.1.3, also tried using the new FME AR writer with various options (outputting as glTF, full scale etc), with no change to the result. Adjusting, rescaling the model in app only does it relative to the plane. Adding an anchor feature does not change the result either.

Inspecting the data I can see the manhole model has coordinates (0,0,0) at the top, and (0,0,-3) at the base, so it's not a data issue either.

Has anyone had success with the Android FME AR app in displaying objects below the horizontal plane? With the PipeReplacer transformer enabling rapid generation of 3D pipe geometries, I'm hoping to finally display them in their actual locations in AR.

2 replies

Badge +10

I'm not confident this is exactly what you want but could adjust the lay of the object once it's generated to move it below the plane? I know this won't place it exactly where the features should be but it might help get closer to the end goal.

Badge +11

Hi @ctredinnick​,

If you are still looking to give FME AR another try, it may be a good idea to update to the latest Android version of FME AR (currently at v.1.4.0) as many improvements have been made since.

Update:

We're planning some more testing internally around version 1.5.0 which is aimed to be released by the end of May. This might be a better version to try than the current.

If you decide to give it another go, please let me know if you are still seeing the same issues in v.1.5.0 down the road, and I'd be happy to look into this further with you.