Question

How to write a DGN to PDF?

Badge +6

I have experience with FME but only in writing from ArcGIS to CAD, and have never had any formal training, or the option for it. :(

I have been tasked to write DGN V7 files to PDF. I do not have Bentley software or any experience in Microstation.

This is not a fancy translation by any means, but I am having serious issues trying to determine what attributes to expose and how they correlate to the PDF writer. Are there any tutorials available or documents laying out this type of work flow?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

You can start by simply trying a DGN-to-PDF process that you set up using the Generate Workspace option. DGN contains style information (colors) so the PDF writer will try and recreate that as closely as possible.

I do recommend that you use the "Adobe Geospatial PDF" writer, not the "Adobe 3D PDF" one unless you really want to write 3D data and view it in 3D.

Another key transformer can be the PDFStyler, which allows you to set styles for features going into PDF.

Badge +6

Awesome, the PDFStyle is definitely what I was looking for. I am still struggling with the Line Dash Array section. I read through the documentation and have experimented with the values but I am only getting a solid line. I DID filter out the elements so I know that there is no overlap. Do you know of a good base entry to start with so I can visualize what I need to do to adjust that array?

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Awesome, the PDFStyle is definitely what I was looking for. I am still struggling with the Line Dash Array section. I read through the documentation and have experimented with the values but I am only getting a solid line. I DID filter out the elements so I know that there is no overlap. Do you know of a good base entry to start with so I can visualize what I need to do to adjust that array?

Not really I'm afraid