Question

How to connect to Azure SQL Database from FME Desktop by using Azure Active Directory Password authentication

• 4 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

When trying to use the SQL Azure SQL Database (JDBC) database connection, can that be used with the ActiveDirectoryPassword authentication type? I have a service account in the Azure Active Directory, but that is not the user our FME Server runs with, to be able to use the ActiveDirectoryIntegrated option. I have successfully used FME Desktop with my personal account as well as the service account (using RunAs) with the ActiveDirectoryIntegrated authentication. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.

2 replies

Badge

Hi @Paul Brandt​ thank you for posting your question. To answer your question FME does not currently support Azure Active Directory Password as a dedicated authentication type on SQL Database connections, but there is currently an issue filed to have this added in future builds of FME, which the dev team are currently investigating. I will be sure to add your post to the enhancement request thread.

I will point you to two previous posts here on the community related to this issue. (FMEENGINE-57594)

Database connection with Active Directory with MFA

How to connect to Azure Database from FME Desktop by using Active Directory Integrated authentication

In the first post, Mark outlines how it may be possible to formulate an Active Directory connection using the JDBC. Please let me know if this helps.

Badge +1

Hi @Paul Brandt​ thank you for posting your question. To answer your question FME does not currently support Azure Active Directory Password as a dedicated authentication type on SQL Database connections, but there is currently an issue filed to have this added in future builds of FME, which the dev team are currently investigating. I will be sure to add your post to the enhancement request thread.

I will point you to two previous posts here on the community related to this issue. (FMEENGINE-57594)

Database connection with Active Directory with MFA

How to connect to Azure Database from FME Desktop by using Active Directory Integrated authentication

In the first post, Mark outlines how it may be possible to formulate an Active Directory connection using the JDBC. Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks @daraghbroderick I wasn't able to get a JDBC connection string to work, (probably user error somewhere) but I was able to create an ODBC system DSN, and use the ODBC 3.x connection in a SQL Executor to write to it. I'm not super fond of the way I implemented this, so I would definitely be interested in a more out of the box solution, either with JDBC connection string, or ODBC connection string (I never did figure out which connection type would let me put in an ODBC connection string).