Question

3D building file missing faces after geodatabase export?

I have a 3D building file (stemming from a PostGIS reader) that is read correctly in FME (green object below). After exporting it as a File Geodatabase with geodb_multipatch geometry, I get the orange result. Any idea on what might be going wrong in the FeatureWriter?

before_exportafter

2 replies

Badge +1

I've come across this before, when writing polygonal vertical features to a polygon geometry type feature class in a File Geodatabase. If I remember correctly, it was caused by the fact that polygons are seen as simple features and are following the OGC implementation specification. This causes the polygons to be seen as invalid geometries: within a vertical polygon, there will be vertices that have the same exact X and Y coordinates.

For your specific case, since you're trying to write the data as a multipatch geometry type, I think these vertical polygons should not be the problem. I think converting the polygonal features to a mesh before the FeatureWriter might solve your problem. You can try it out by using a combination of the FaceReplacer and the GeometryCoercer (Geometry Type 'fme_mesh').

I've come across this before, when writing polygonal vertical features to a polygon geometry type feature class in a File Geodatabase. If I remember correctly, it was caused by the fact that polygons are seen as simple features and are following the OGC implementation specification. This causes the polygons to be seen as invalid geometries: within a vertical polygon, there will be vertices that have the same exact X and Y coordinates.

For your specific case, since you're trying to write the data as a multipatch geometry type, I think these vertical polygons should not be the problem. I think converting the polygonal features to a mesh before the FeatureWriter might solve your problem. You can try it out by using a combination of the FaceReplacer and the GeometryCoercer (Geometry Type 'fme_mesh').

Hmm, I get an error with this feature when running the FaceReplacer... I see "Front Appearance Reference: `146791' to an unnamed appearance"

The GeometryCoercer also outputs this feature as 'untouched'.