Question

What's Up Wednesday (23-Feb-2022): The EsriReprojector, Python Training, Women in Tech, Pink Shirts, and another Fireside Chat

• 23 February 2022
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Welcome to What's Up Wednesday, your weekly FME news roundup.

EsriReprojector

Anyone who tuned into the sneak peek broadcast yesterday was treated to an in-depth look at the EsriReprojector transformer and what has changed in 2022.

The two main upgrades are time-based coordinate reprojection and vertical datums.

WUW-2022-02-23-1 

The time element is controlled by the coordinate systems selected and the Epoch parameter. A separate set of parameters control the Vertical Datums.

And, yes, I asked and you can do both at once!

That's the final sneak peek I had planned. But I've got used to streaming with guests on a Tuesday afternoon, so, I'll try and line up more presentations, whether they be sneak peeks or something else, to keep us both educated and entertained.

Women in Tech

On the agenda for March is a webinar titled Empowering Women in Tech.

WUW-2022-02-23-2 

It's not about FME, per se, but about the women who work at Safe and how their careers progressed. If that's of interest to you, we have a short preview of the webinar and you can also sign up on our website.

We'd love to hear from FME users about their careers as women in tech industries. For example, what is your background, why are you passionate about tech, did you have a mentor to help you progress? Feel free to post a comment here or in the webinar chat itself.

Linux Builds

I notice on our downloads page that we now have beta versions for multiple Linux versions, including Debian 11 and ARM Ubuntu 20.04:

WUW-2022-02-23-3 

So if you're a Linux-based FME user, who really can't wait for the release proper, now's your chance to try the upcoming FME 2022 version.

Python Training

I notice that con terra is offering online training in FME and Python - presumably in German - at various times over the coming months. I mention this because I know many users like to know about how and when to use Python within FME.

If you don't speak German, then keep an eye out because I strongly suspect Python training will be on the agenda for the FME User Conference later this year. If you're new to the FME User Conference, we recently published an article on our blog to explain what it's all about.

User News

I love to give shout-outs to users gaining certification (or other FME-related achievements) so well done to Ibrahim Hassan of AlDhafra Region Municipality for his FME Professional certification, also to Lydia Kotoula and Lars Nef of Tensing for the same:

WUW-2022-02-23-5 

On the subject of awards, Consortech is promoting their Awards of FME Excellence.

WUW-2022-02-23-6Consortech is a Canadian company, but one of last year's winners was from California, so I don't think the awards are limited in any way. Perhaps one of their employees can let us know? But you can also check out their website for more information.

I notice that Sweco is looking for an FME Expert for their offices in Sweden. My Swedish doesn't go much further than "mannen och kvinnan dricker inte mjölk" (the man and the woman don't drink milk) so if you can do better you might want to check out the position.

I also see FME mentioned in jobs in Toronto, Edmonton, Atlanta, New York, Southampton, Rotterdam, Bonn, and Rio de Janeiro!

Todd, Gavin, and Hamish at Abley in NZ have posted their latest Fireside Chat video, this one about FME optimization.

WUW-2022-02-23-7 

I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but they talk about "readers, spatial and non-spatial queries, blocking transformers and ordering, leaning on database actions, writer techniques, and a trick with huge CSV datasets" - so it sounds like there is something for everyone.

Pink Shirt Day

It's Pink Shirt Day in Canada today, where we take a stand against bullying. So if I have a meeting with you today, don't be surprised by the pink backdrop, pink lizards, and pink zipsters!

WUW-2022-02-23-4 

0 replies

Be the first to reply!