Solved

Is it possible to write to a dwg and fill a custom propertyset?

• 19 February 2022
  • 8 replies

• Contributor
  • 9 replies

I have a template dwg with a property set attached to lines and polylines. When I write a dwg and use that template is it then possible to fille the property set from FME?

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 23 February 2022, 19:48

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @bbo​,

I'm not sure, but I would be happy to find out for you. Would you mind sharing the template file? If you don't want to make it public, you can send it to me directly at dave.campanas@safe.com.

Hi @daveatsafe​ ,

I have attached the WB and the template dwg. The source (arcgis portal) I have replaced with a FFS. It would begreat if you would get this to work.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @bbo​,

Thank you for the files. What AutoCAD application are you using: regular AutoCAD, Map3D or Civil3D?

Hi @bbo​,

Thank you for the files. What AutoCAD application are you using: regular AutoCAD, Map3D or Civil3D?

We use Civil3D And that is als in which the dwg was made.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Thanks. I was able to use the template in Civil3D to create some sample lines to play with. FME can read those property sets with the Civil3D reader, but FME does not currently have a Civil3D writer. It does not seem presently possible to read from or write to those property sets using the AutoCAD or AutoCAD Map3D writers.

One workaround might be to write the attributes to DWG as Extended Entity Data in the FME AutoCAD writer, then use a Dynamo script to move that info into the Property Sets in Civil3D.

Thanks for trying. Is it possible to run the Dynamic script from within FME? Maybe I can get a colleague to write a script for me.​

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @bbo​,

Dynamo is an automated scripting tool for Autodesk applications, so it won't run in FME, just in Civil 3D, Revit and Inventor. It is a visual script like Workbench, but not quite as user friendly.

@daveatsafe​ Is there yet a solution for writing Data Property Sets with Workbench?