Question

What's Up Wednesday (16-Feb-2022): Unfolded Format Revealed, FME Terminology, 2022 Deprecations, and more FME zum Kaffee.

• 17 February 2022
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello FMEers,

Here is your weekly FME news update, just a day late.

Unfolded Format

In case you missed it, we revealed the new Unfolded format reader and writer last Tuesday.

WUW-2022-02-16-1 

And it really was a reveal, because that format hasn't even been exposed in the FME betas yet. But when it is available, do give it a try. I just created an account on Unfolded itself and it certainly looks like a useful platform.

FME Terminology

I'm sure you've noticed that by clicking "More" on the FME Community menu that there is an option to access documentation. But what you might not have noticed is a newly added link to the FME Terminology page:

WUW-2022-02-16-2 

The FME Terminology page looks like this:

WUW-2022-02-16-3 

It has been available for quite a while, but fairly well hidden from view! Now that you can find it through this link, I hope that you'll share it with other FME users - especially beginners - to help them understand the terms we use in FME.

Deprecations and Other Articles

There are a few new and updated articles on the knowledge base that are worth knowing about this week.

The FME Deprecations list shows items deprecated in FME back as far as 2017.

WUW-2022-02-16-4 

It's useful to browse this in advance of the next release, so that you are aware of what changes might affect you and how you can alter your workflows to handle them. I'm not sure what has changed this week, but some items are obviously more important than others.

With 32-bit FME ending too, Personal Geodatabase format becomes non-functional too. But - as this article explains - there is a partial workaround.

And an article I mentioned last week as still being written - Choosing the Correct SQLite or SpatiaLite format - is also now available.

User and Partner News

From our users and partners I see the following:

1Spatial has released a list of upcoming webinars for FME, including one called "How to Get the Most from Cache Mode", which looks very interesting.

On LinkedIn, user Freek de Wachter shows off a wonderful augmented reality model created with FME.

WUW-2022-02-16-5 

It's an example of planning a site event using AR and I think this is fantastic. Congratulations to Freek on such an outstanding piece of work. On the same subject, our in-house expert, Dmitri, has also produced a nice example.

con terra has also released their latest video in the FME zum Kaffee series:

WUW-2022-02-16-9 

This one is all about coordinate projection (and reprojection) in FME.

Finally, congratulations to David Stevens at Seamless for obtaining his FME Professional certification.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Thanks @mark2atsafe​