Solved

whats does "Features are being recorded on all output ports" mean?

• 17 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello, i have a point cloud data file in e57 format and i plan to reduce it by transform PointCloudSimplifier. There is my workspace.1And it appears that warning "The workspace may run slower because features are being recorded on all output ports". The data is very large, more than 100GB, so i wish it cloud be processed faster.

I'm not exactly sure what "recorded on all output ports" means, what should i do? Do i need to add a transform like AttributeManager between the Reader and PointCloudSimplifier or something else?

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by nielsgerrits 17 February 2022, 05:00

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

The complete log is:

Feature Caching is ON
The workspace may run slower because features are being recorded on all output ports.

Feature Caching means that at each transformer, all data at all outputports is written to temp files. This way, after a workspace is run, you can inspect all data at every transformer. Since Safe introduced Feature Caching in 2018 this setting is switched on by default. See the blog post Feature Caching: A New Mode for FME Workspace Authoring for more details.

While this is very useful when developing a workspace with light sample datasets, it can come at a great cost in performance due to massive amounts of I/O.

You can simply disable Feature Caching via Run --> Enable Feature Caching.

It is also possible to disable Feature Caching for some parts of your workspace using bookmarks. The outputports of transformers in a closed bookmark will not be cached. Personally, I don't like how layout of the transformers are restored when re opening the bookmark, so I never use this functionality.