Question

Regex check during input of text in user parameter

• 16 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +11

Hi everyone,

is there a way to parse input in text user parameter before running a Serverapp? Let's say I only want to accept letters (A-Z,a-z) as input in text parameter and notify the user immediately if any number (0-9) is used.

I'm cerain that this check can be done at workspace excecution, but that would already be to late as all the given values for user parameters can't be kept and must be re-entered at a necessary rerun.

Thanks for your answers!

3 replies

Badge +2

I don't believe this is an option at the moment but I think it's a great idea. Would you mind adding this as a suggestion on the Ideas page? In the meantime, the only way I can think to do this would be to create javascript app with form input validation, unfortunately.

One workaround if you want to use server workspace apps for this is to use the message parameter type to inform the user that numbers will be stripped out, then use a StringReplacer in the workspace to remove any numbers from the value entered in that parameter. imageimage

Badge +11

Thanks for the feedback, I'll transfer the question to the ideas section.

The Message parameter was new to me indeed and might be some sort oder workaroud, although it doesn't substitute der RegEx check.

Badge +2

Thanks for the feedback, I'll transfer the question to the ideas section.

The Message parameter was new to me indeed and might be some sort oder workaroud, although it doesn't substitute der RegEx check.

Definitely not as good of a solution - especially from an end-user perspective. I completely see the benefit in having this feature to prevent invalid entries (similar to how the number parameter type can set upper and lower limits to limit the range of valid values).

If anyone else is looking for this functionality, please feel free to upvote and share your use case on the idea @whkarto​ has created here.

Thanks for sharing your great idea!